
I was recently reminded of a favorite Far Side cartoon from years past.
While I can’t speak for you, I find myself feeling increasingly like a “wise guy” in a larger world that’s becoming more secular, more fragmented, frenzied, and even more and more “indifferent,” if not antagonistic, to Christians and Christianity. And frankly given our own spotty 2000 year old track record, on most days I can’t blame them!
Lest you think I am exaggerating – which admittedly I’m known to do – ask yourself how often you find yourself thinking or saying one of the following?:-
“Just where is everyone on Sunday mornings?” or,
“Gee, wasn’t church more crowded (or church events better attended) when I was younger?” or even,
Why can’t I get our kids (or family members) to attend our church (or any church, for that matter) more often?”
I can’t speak for you, but I personally believe it’s good and even desirable that we Christians increasingly find ourselves on the “edges” of culture and considered among the “fringe” elements of society (although, I hope, not among the lunatic fringe!)
In short, I’m proud to be one of the “wise guys!”
For as Christians, don’t we follow the ultimate “wise guy?” Isn’t the object proudly displayed at the pinnacle of our buildings an object and sign of public execution, humiliation, and disgrace – the cross? And as Christians, to paraphrase St. Paul, don’t we proclaim that we no longer live, but Christ lives in and among us?
So, please know that I, for one, am proud to be a registered, card carrying “wise guy!” How about you?
PS: Knowing too that we live in an increasingly litigious society, special thanks to Gary Larson, another true “wise guy,” for the many years of great Far Side cartoons!

No comments:
Post a Comment