Please choose all those which apply to you:
- I am afraid that the "end of the world" is coming soon.
- I am afraid that Global Warming is real and will have grave effects on our world in the years to come.
- I am afraid that Global Warming is false and that misguided human efforts to change the world because of Global Warming will only make matters worse in the years to come.
- I am afraid that the United States is in a recession which will have serious financial and societal consequences upon me and my family in the future.
- I am afraid that my preferred Presidential candidate will not be elected later this year.
- I am afraid that my preferred Presidential candidate will be elected later this year and that nothing will change.
- I am afraid I'm so jaded and cynical that I don't even care who wins the upcoming elections.
- I am afraid that my neighborhood and community are changing too rapidly.
- I am afraid that my neighborhood and community are not changing rapidly enough.
- I am afraid that the Worldwide Anglican Communion is headed for such disintegration or change that it will cease reflecting and representing my core beliefs.
- I am afraid that the Episcopal Church is headed for such disintegration or change that it will cease reflecting and representing my core beliefs.
- I am afraid that St. Matthew's Parish will change so much in the near future that it will no longer reflect my core beliefs or meet my spiritual needs.
- I am afraid that St. Matthew's Parish will not change rapidly enough in the near future.
- I am afraid I'm so jaded and cynical that I don't even care whether or how St. Matthew's Parish changes in the near future.
How many did you choose? Be honest. No one is looking over your shoulder. I'm guessing that you chose several (most?) of the fears listed above . And my suggested list is hardly complete. In fact, I bet you could easily add many more fears to the list without even breaking a sweat!
We live in times of great fear. While past generations have certainly shared related or similar fears, a great many respected religious and social commentators note that ours' are deeply and increasingly fearful times. And unlike past eras where the causes and sources of fear were easy to identify (the Nazis, the Communists, "those other" people, fill in the blanks…), it seems to me that it's increasingly hard to identify and name the causes and sources of our many contemporary fears.
Before we throw up our hands and beat our breasts in despair, however, I believe there is a way through our fears. The way through our fears must begin in this way – by raising our hands and bowing our heads in humble prayer.
If God truly took human flesh … If Easter means anything … if Pentecost signifies something … then as Christians we must do that which is difficult, but necessary. We must identify and name those many forces and things which frighten us, and then we must turn them over to the Risen One. In so doing, we will never stand alone. And in so doing, our fears will slowly diminish, success will inevitably come, and light will fill even the darkest corners of our once-frightened hearts.
Lest you not believe me (which is one of my many fears!), please know that the noted and highly respected Biblical scholar, Walter Brueggemann, shares similar beliefs. Brueggemann writes:
I think a case can be made that the heart of the gospel is "do not fear" … Fear is the great pathology of our society. It is the task of the church to say "do not fear," but that assurance must be grounded in a God who is trusted to be present in effective ways … Thus the church is entrusted with an antidote to the pathology of our time and place. It is not an easy assurance, but it is one that opens space for different actions and different social relationships, and so for different futures. (Reprinted from IMAGE: A Journal of Art, Faith, Mystery; #55)
So please take heart in these frightening times. Please continue (or else begin) believing the gospel message – "do not fear." And for God's sake (and ours' too), say your prayers!
In this Easter Season, it's time to take new and "different actions." In this Pentecost month, it's time to forge new and "different social relationships." As a Spirit-filled and Spirit-driven people, it's time for us to look new ways and head in different directions. And in so doing, all of us together will arrive at new and brighter futures!

No comments:
Post a Comment