Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Waiting for the Gecko!

It all started with an aquarium. Years ago my wife and kids presented me with the unexpected and welcome gift of a 15 gallon aquarium. While the aquarium found a place of "honor" in our family room back in Phoenix, it never made it out of the garage here in Indianapolis – that is, until this spring!

My first idea was to fill my beloved aquarium with fish and place it in our "kid's room" at church. Wiser counsel, however, persuaded me that 15 gallons of water (not to mention wiggling, dying fish) were items neither wanted nor needed on the kid's room floor! So, in a moment of clarity and conversion, I began considering new ways of seeing the aquarium and its future inhabitant(s). And it was thus that I first discovered one of God's more beautiful creatures - Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis –
the Madagascar Giant Day Gecko.

So I now expectantly await the arrival of the newest "member" of our family. The good folks at the USPS tell me (electronically at least) that the gecko's on its way. Yes, it is still an "it" since sexual identification doesn't occur in geckos until maturity.

So I wait. And the tropical plants in our 15 gallon "terrarium" await their newest resident as well.

Stay tuned for more news and maybe even a photo or two!

No comments: