Saturday, January 16, 2010

Brief Thoughts from the Periphery

Have you ever wondered about our odd Anglican and Episcopal fascination with geography and names? Consider the following: our own Diocese of Indianapolis has St. Francis in the Fields in Zionsville. Prior to arriving at St. Matthew’s, I served St. Barnabas on the Desert in Arizona. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of classical music has experienced the glorious musicianship of the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields (borrowing its name from the historic Trafalgar Square church where the legendary group was born.) Even Wikipedia notes that “in Anglican/Episcopal circles, a generic name for ‘any church’ is … ‘St. Swithin's in the Swamp.’"
I mention this odd fascination because I have an increasingly odd idea. I think it’s high time for St. Matthew’s to fully embrace our Anglican-Episcopal love for things geographic! The time is fast approaching, and is perhaps already here, when our own beloved East Tenth Street parish might more accurately be named St. Matthew’s on the Periphery! But before you protest, please allow me to explain.
First, consider that Webster’s defines “periphery” as “the outside or superficial portions of a body” or (in geometry) “the circumference of a circle, ellipse, or other figure.”
Now honestly ask yourself the following questions: Is the church more important or less important to me today compared to the past? Is St. Matthews’s Parish more or less important to the east side of Indianapolis today than in the past? From a larger perspective, is Christianity itself more or less influential today than in the past? If I ask a random sample of my friends or family members these same questions, how will they answer? (I suggest you try it!) In short, is the church more important or less important today than it was 50 years ago… or 100 years ago… or 200 years ago…or 1000 years ago?
How did you answer these questions? While recognizing that exceptions certainly exist, my own personal and professional experiences strongly indicate that the Christian church is becoming less and less important with/to each passing generation. Whether considering friends, neighbors, coworkers, or even family members, or reading the latest polls, surveys, and research studies, it is very clear that Christians and Christianity in general are increasingly on the outside or periphery of culture and society.
And, believe it or not, I celebrate this development! Living on the outside or periphery is a good and even desirable thing! I believe it’s what Jesus did and intends us to do too. I believe it’s what has inspired all genuine Christian reform efforts in the past. And I believe it’s the surest sign that the Spirit is alive and well.
So, Happy New Year from the periphery!

No comments: